Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Freedom of Speech - Westboro Baptist Church Response.


After watching the videos documenting the Westboro Baptist Church posted on the Civil Liberties Lab, I was extremely disturbed by what I saw. From what was shown on these video clips, it seems that this family’s morals and ethics are majorly corrupted, and I personally believe that their beliefs are very, very wrong. However, this is only my opinion and I am entitled to have it, I am also entitled with the right to voice my opinion how I please. Under the First Amendment I am granted the freedom to have these opinions and to be able to disagree with the beliefs of this one family, as they have the freedom to disagree with my beliefs and opinions. If I wanted to preach to the public in a peaceful way about my beliefs I should be able to do that. Of course I don’t think that protesting right next to a burial ceremony is respectful or tasteful, and I do think that there should be some kind of restriction against that. To me it just seems downright disrespectful especially since the people this family seems to protest against are people who fight to give us the freedoms to be able to protest. But a peaceful expression of your beliefs is what makes America, America. So even though I don’t necessarily believe what this family is trying to teach American citizens, I do respect their right to go around trying to teach it.

- Davida

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you! I actually know that some states have banned the protesters from coming to funerals! Its fine that their expressing their oppinion but i agree that it should be limited. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your work! Great job. 96!

    ReplyDelete